It’s hard to believe, but Driver Hire has now been in business for thirty years. The brain child of Mark Lawn and John Bussey, the first Driver Hire office opened in Shipley, West Yorkshire in 1983. Once the business model proved successful, franchising was the next step forward to expand the network. The first Driver Hire franchises opened in Newcastle and Sheffield in 1987.
Over the last thirty years the business has grown and continually developed to meet the need of our customers and franchisees.
To celebrate our 30th year of business we have produced a number of promotional items for our network to share with our customers and candidates, and will be planning a number of fund raising and volunteering activities to help local communities.
We’re now looking forward to the next 30 years!
The Driver Hire Timeline
- 1983 – Business established in Shipley, West Yorkshire
- 1987 – First franchised offices – Newcastle and Sheffield
- 1995 – Achieved ISO 9001 and IIP accreditation
- 1998 – 80th Office opened.
- 2004 – Institutional Investment in Driver Hire
- 2005 – Winners of bfa ‘Franchisee of the Year’ award
- 2006 – Winners of bfa ‘Franchisor of the Year’ award
- 2008 – Record £77m sales in 25th Anniversary year
- 2008 – REC ‘One in a Million’ Temporary Worker of the Year
- 2008 – Move to new Head Office in Bradford
- 2009 – Launch ‘Fuel Efficient Driving’ &‘Home Delivery Training’
- 2009 – Launch of new Driver Hire website with online jobs board
- 2010 – Launch of new Driver CPC Training business
- 2011 – Launch of Agency Workers Regulations Project Team
- 2011 – bfa ‘Franchisee of the Year’ – Regional Award Winner: Lorraine Thompson
- 2011 – Secured backing for next growth phase with Lloyds Development Capital
- 2012 – bfa ‘Franchisee of the Year’ – Regional Award Winner: Gee Bains
- 2012 – bfa ‘Franchisor of the Year’ – Bronze Award Winner
- 2012 – Driver Hire Perth in Australia – sales in excess of £1m in 6 months
- 2012 – Launch of eFED (Fuel Efficient Driving) online learning
- 2013 – 100th Office opened